BUCKET LIST: MY ADVENTURE IN PARIS TO MEET MY ROLE MODEL


Ever since my childhood, I am a car nut and fascinated with automotive brands and Tata Motors is among my favorites. Mr. J.R.D Tata (Jeh) was the founder of Tata Motors, he was a French-born, passionate aviator who gave wings to India by starting Tata Airlines (now Air India) which was India's first airline company. He was known for his love for humanity, passion for flying, racing, and skiing. He served as a chairman of Tata Sons for almost five decades from 1930 to 1990. Though he was managing India's largest conglomerate, he focussed much on the development of India after its independence, a true nationalist. I read a lot of stories about Jeh, what makes him so special is despite having such wealth and talent, he was so kind, simple, and cared about his people. He's my idol.

"To be a leader, you have got to lead human beings with affection" –Jeh

When I got admission for my masters in Germany, after completing all my formalities and shopping stuff, I started planning for the places to visit in Europe, first on the list was Paris, the birthplace of Jeh and he is resting at Père Lachaise Cemetery. I landed in Germany in the last week of September 2016, and the next month, I got a student-trip opportunity to visit Paris and I didn't want to refuse the opportunity. I went with my new friends (I didn't even know their names properly), we landed in Paris and visited the Louvre Museum (to see the famous Mona Lisa painting). After that, I told my new friends that I want to go to Père Lachaise Cemetery so I can't join them. I took the map and marked the destination and told them that I meet them back at 7 PM at Eifel tower's north pillar. I didn't even have a working mobile connection so I must meet them at that time. I took the L'Open tour Paris bus pass and headed towards the destination following the map. I have to change three buses (around 10 kilometers) and walk for another 2.5 km. I barely had five hours of time to catch the last bus to return (and I wanted to avoid underground trams.)

Somewhere in Paris

As I reached the end of the bus route, my phone's battery was juicing down rapidly as I was using the camera, I noted my friend's number on the map to use in case of emergency. I started walking and missed the route, it became very tough to ask people about directions, most of them were visitors like me and they don't know what I was asking about. Luckily an English-speaking French lady helped me in finding the route and at last, I reached Père Lachaise Cemetery.

Entrance to the Père Lachaise Cemetery

It's a 110 acres cemetery and has 70,000 burial plots. I lost there and was unable to find his name on the list, employees over there wasn't understanding English, and I had no internet to translate. I was losing hope and running out of time, the day was dawning, and found no one to help me in finding Jeh's plot. I turned back with a heavy heart and started moving back but I just don't want to go back without seeing him. So I started moving forward and asking each person I found but of no use. I checked my phone for clues and luckily found Jeh's grave screenshot I've taken when I was in India. I showed that to a lady over the security desk and her response, "aah, Thahta,..*speaking French*..." I just focussed on her hand gestures as I don't understand French, I jumped with joy and moved forward and I still remember the moment I saw his grave; my eyes became moist, tears were rolling down, my heart swelled with pride... a feeling that I can't express. As my phone's battery was draining, I wanted to take a photo first, while taking a selfie, the sunrays fell over me through his grave, felt like he was blessing me or perhaps I reached at the perfect time!

Jeh's grave


I started returning from there and my phone's battery was dead, I headed to the nearest Starbucks for free Wifi (and of course for a good coffee too) and charged my phone enough to make a Whatsapp call to my friend to inform him that I may arrive a bit late. I took a cappuccino and started rushing to the Bastille bus stop (where I have to take the  bus connection.)
At Place de la Bastille (Near the bus stop)

I boarded the last bus at Bastille and changed to another bus that directly takes to the Eiffel tower. I got stuck in the heavy traffic but thanks to the Starbucks Wifi, I informed my friends about my delay. I reached around 8 PM and friends were waiting in line to climb the Eifel tower.

The Eiffel tower at night. 


Last month 29th was his 114th birth anniversary, I remembered the adventure I did in Paris. I love his quote, "Live life a little dangerously." His principles and beliefs are driving my life. I always wish to be like him, a good human being who followed his passion and did something great for others.


One of my friends, Sivaji had gifted me this pencil sketch on Jeh's 114th birth anniversary. Thanks very much, Sivaji, handmade gifts are so valuable, I will treasure it forever. 


Brought a few flowers from his grave in his memory. They're still with me, it reminds the legacy of such a great personality.


It's true that miracles do happen when we wish with a true heart. I still wonder when I took the screenshot of Jeh's grave that helped me when I was about to give up. So guys, never give up, miracles happen. It's difficult to persist, but worse to regret!


"Nothing ever worthwhile is achieved without deep thought and hard work" 
-Jeh





Comments

Anonymous said…
you're truly a good webmaster. The web site loading speed is amazing.
It seems that you are doing any distinctive trick. Furthermore,
The contents are masterwork. you've done a great job in this topic!
Anonymous said…
I would like to thnkx for the efforts you've put in writing this blog.
I'm hoping the same high-grade site post from you
in the upcoming also. Actually your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my
own site now. Really the blogging is spreading its
wings fast. Your write up is a great example of it.
Anonymous said…
Some truly interesting details you have written.Helped me a lot, just what I was looking
for :D.
Anonymous said…
We're a group of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.

Your web site offered us with helpful information to work on. You've done an impressive task and our entire neighborhood shall be thankful to you.
Anonymous said…
You completed several fine points there. I did a search on the issue and found nearly all folks will agree with your
blog.
Anonymous said…
Thank you for any other informative website. Where else may
just I am getting that type of information written in such an ideal way?
I've a project that I am just now working on, and I
have been at the look out for such information.
Anonymous said…
I am thankful that I observed this web blog, just the
right info that I was searching for!

Popular Posts