THE ONLY REASON WHY I AM GENUINELY OPTIMISTIC ABOUT THE ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE


Is Artificial Intelligence (A.I) a good thing or a bad thing? It's a huge debatable topic around the world and the conclusion draws the same thing as the question, it's good.., and it's bad too!

I think, irrespective of the profession, everyone should think about this question and draw conclusions in all aspects because A.I is going to disrupt every industry. I am really impressed with the way it is supposed to be, it's applications can really improve the human standards. They can be a highly skilled workforce which can take away boring jobs, a customer support which solves issues efficiently and instantly. This technology can disrupt the education system too as we can create better tools for learning. No wonder one day the A.I robots can replace teachers (also the chatbots as personal student assistants) and teach diversified courses to every corner of the world. Imagine getting a chatbot feature to edX, Coursera, and other MOOCs which provide M.I.T, I.I.T levels of standards to everyone for free (it can be). Recruiters wont have any objection to consider the degrees obtained from A.I taught programs because the quality of education will be higher and fair. 

"ALL I WANT IS AN EDUCATION AND I AM AFRAID OF NO ONE" -Malala Yousufzai
~That's the impact of education

Another great benefit of A.I (that I bother about) is in the auto industry. Last year, I attended a startup meeting on new technologies and entrepreneurship. The speaker was a professor at an American university and he emphasized the main reason behind the self-driving technology. Autonomous is not a fancy thing, it's being developed to reduce the road accidents which are rising at an alarming rate. Globally, more than 1.25 million people die of road crash injuries annually. With A.I, we can help reduce this number, not just with fully autonomous, but with some adaptive technologies like auto emergency braking, and adaptive cruise controls can impact greatly, they are called ADAS (advanced driver assistive systems). The video below is an autonomous bus concept by VRN and RNV, south-west Germany's public transport network displayed at Klimatag (Climate day) event in Ludwigshafen city in 2017.   This video demonstrated how an autonomous bus can avoid a collision when it detects any obstacles in its way.


(Now please don't laugh seeing at that person if you recognize him)

The A.I technology has endless benefits, but despite that, misusing can be scary. It can violate privacy, take our jobs, robots can kill us or take control of humans. Worst things can happen with robots as shown in Sci-Fi films. But I think if our advancements reach the levels of creating such efficient robots, then we can also able to create technologies that protect us from evil robots. For instance, at present, our bank transactions are made online and they're safe, we have developed technologies to secure transactions. Just like that, we can build strong firewalls (possibly developed by an A.I itself) to avoid uneven circumstances. As Google tested it's Auto ML (a machine learning machine language and creates its own functions without human interaction) and found it's performance was better than any human-made program to date. Doesn't it mean a robot can code better and protect us? If a situation comes like an evil robot tries to create violence, the ethical robot can defend them. So the war will be in between a machine and a machine, we have to create such "ethical" robots. 

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them" 
- Albert Einstein

Maybe, A.I can create some whole new level of problems but using them ethically and with better government policies can definitely benefit the humanity especially for the other half of the world which we are ignoring. The technologies we develop should benefit the entire world. A country leading with automated things and another country with no basic amenities make no sense to humanity. We need to make this planet better to benefit the entire humanity. I think A.I can do that, it's for everyone and that's the reason I am genuinely optimistic about this incredible technology.


"By far, the greatest danger of Artificial Intelligence is that people conclude too early that they understand it"
-Eliezer Yudkowsky (American researcher)



Comments

Sai ram sagar said…
Excellent sai prakash...
Anonymous said…
The way you structured the speech is fabulous I felt that you are way optimistic even before the robotic era has began! The main question one has to ask themselves before welcoming AI in the human life's is 'Are we ready for this'
Hi, thanks for reading and for your kind appreciation. You made a valid question, my perspective of A.I is with regard to solve the global issues and my answer could be...it's already late. "The other half of the world" is still suffering from the lack of basic amenities. Just considering the global girl education crisis, 130 million girls don't access to education, keeping local traditions apart, those who are willing to learn cannot access to quality education. Combined with other genders, this demographs rise even more. An Internet-enabled device with A.I apps can create a revolution and help grow their communities. There are many such issues for masses which only an A.I can do better. And it's getting late.

Popular Posts